Thursday, December 18, 2014

Merry Christmas from all of us!

December, 2014
Dear Friends and Family,

Here is what we’ve been up to in the year 2014:  lots!  We visited the Sierras in the winter and summer, the kids and I (Kerstin) traveled to Berlin, Hude, Bochum, and Nürnberg Germany, we took several camping trips, Hanna and Maggie spent 3 weeks in Alaska, and we enjoyed a trip to Washington D.C. and New Jersey.  What a joy it was to see family and friends!  As our children grow, our life is increasingly busier with activities and…well, life!  Every day is so lively!  Here are some glimpses:

Carl - This will be my firstborn’s 17th Christmas! That means we will have been in California 17 years next spring. I am so blessed to have the privilege of serving the Lord as a husband, father, and pastor and look forward to many more years of that if He is willing. The verse that keeps coming back to me this year is Isaiah 40:10 which says, “Fear not, for I am with you, be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you by my righteous right hand.” What a promise the Lord makes to His people! He does not promise ease or increase in this life but He does promise His presence, and nothing compares to the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord (Philippians 3:8).

Kerstin - I’ve been married half my life now…this year!  2014 was marvelously full.  Sometimes I do feel like I can’t keep up and there’s too much going on, and a long quiet time reading my Bible and praying to the God of it all is always necessary for adjusting my perspective.  I’m juggling homeschooling 3rd, 5th, 10th, and 11th graders (although all I’m doing with the high schoolers is Algebra 2, German, and US History 2), all their activities, our home, running a half marathon and swimming an open ocean mile swim, and sneaking in some painting commissions and projects.  I now have 3 children’s books published on Amazon and Kindle.  My favorite verses from the Bible currently are Romans 1:16, “For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes” and Acts 4:12, “And there is salvation in no one else, for there is no other name [than Jesus] under heaven given among men by which we must be saved.”

Johanna (17) - Sweet and thoughtful, Hanna is so fun to hang out with!  She can take care of meals, plans parties, makes anything she fancies (recently a camouflage fleece hat), plays piano, viola (in a youth orchestra), began surfing, and loves playing defense in soccer (although when encouraged to score in a game, she did score 2 goals within minutes).  She enjoys running in races as well, completing a 10K with a big smile.  Hanna would like to go back to Alaska and serve as a lifeguard at Victory Bible Camp next summer.  She is planning to start college classes in her senior year with the intention on studying emergency nursing/paramedics.  Her favorite verses are Hebrews 12:1-2: Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us,  looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God.

Magdeline (15) - Maggie is also delightful and thoughtful, and fun to hang out with!  She is presently at soccer training, working diligently at becoming a better player.  She scored many goals this season and hopes to play soccer in college.  Maggie keeps us laughing with her funny words: “It sent shrivels up my neck.”  She was making a point about how guys don’t tend to notice things and emphasized, “If a guy got stung on the tongue while licking a cow…he wouldn’t remember it, ‘cause he’s a guy!”  Maggie would like to travel the world because she wants to visit new places, experience new cultures, and try different foods.  She is learning Spanish in addition to her German, enjoys surfing (getting some bigger waves…and a nice “kiss” from her board requiring 6 stitches…), and skateboarding (glad for anyone to teach her new tricks).  Her favorite Bible verse is Isaiah 40:30-31:  Even youths shall faint and be weary, and young men shall fall exhausted; but they who wait for the Lord shall renew their strength they shall mount up with wings like eagles they shall run and not be weary; they shall walk and not faint.

Lilyana (10 1/2) - Little ‘Lil is not so little anymore.  But she is lovable and considerate, often making cards or buying gifts for others with the money she earns dog-sitting.  Lily and Trey both entertained us with many shows they came up with: dancing, acting, costumes, music…the works!  With all of the election calls coming in this past November, one day Lily heard the phone and said, “Pretty sure it’s the president!”  Highlights for Lily this year was that she started dancing en pointe in ballet, began playing the cello in addition to the piano, got selected to help a dolphin trainer for a dolphin show, and she got a dwarf Russian hamster named Bella.  Always the animal (and stuffed animal) lover, Lily stated at one point, “I wish I were blind so I could get a dog!”  She’s so expressive and dramatic, telling me “If you died, Mama, I would flood the hospital with my tears.”  Even when she was so sick, Lily prayed for all the other sick people in the world that they would feel better “because I do not want my prayers to be selfish.”  Lily’s faith is obvious as she struggles and grows.  She read about the apostle Paul and voiced, “I want to be like Paul.  How could he be so strong, so steadfast?  I bet he had moments of doubt when he was locked up!”  Her favorite Bible passage is 1 Corinthians 13 about real love.

Carl III a.k.a. “Trey” (8 1/2) - Definitely a boy with boundless energy, Trey is running with his father at the moment.  He ran 4 miles with me (Kerstin) when we were recently camping at the beach, chattering nonstop, picking up shells, and sprinting throughout.  He loves soccer, George Washington (“I hope he’s in heaven so I can meet him” on our visit to Mt. Vernon), dessert (especially ice cream), legos, ninjas…so Ninjago (ninja legos), snuggling with his Mama (sigh), playing legos or soccer with his dad, bugging his sisters, and camping.  When we read a book where the question was posed, “Can the squirrels sit still?”, Trey responded, “They may be able to, but I can’t!”  Trey wants to name his wife Sensi Wu and be the Green Ninja.  He has his best thoughts at bedtime.  He asked one night, “Did you ever wish you had an extra hand that could just do stuff for you?”  Or “have you ever wanted something so badly it feels like your feet melt to the ground?”  Another night, “Have you ever seen another boy you’d like better for your son?”  Answer, “Of course not!”  To which Trey replied, “I don’t want another lady for my mom.  I’m glad Dad didn’t marry someone else, but I guess I wouldn’t know any different!”  And when I (Kerstin) was leaving one day, Trey called out “Hope you don’t miss my company!”  When I (Kerstin) answered Trey’s questions about what the Bible says makes a person right with God, I found a thank you note and silk flowers with a red bow on my pillow.

We wish you a very Merry Christmas and God’s peace in 2015.

No comments:

Post a Comment